From the time our daughter was an infant, we knew she'd eventually need braces. Tiny mouths and big teeth are never a good combination. When the time...
Five stars isn't enough. Dr. Wilson and his staff are amazing people! I've been really happy from the way they have treated my son. The staff is really...
Dr. Don and his staff could write the book on how to provide stellar customer service! I went into this first appointment as a skeptic, thinking that...
Smile For a Lifetime Foundation
Who We Are:
Smile for a Lifetime Foundation is a charitable non-profit organization that provides orthodontic care to individuals who may not have the opportunity to acquire assistance. Launched in 2008, Smile for a Lifetime Foundation aims to reach individuals with financial challenges, special situations, and orthodontic needs. The Foundation sponsors the orthodontic care of hundreds of patients each year. Smile for a Lifetime Foundation has participating orthodontists throughout the US. Each chapter has its own local Board of Directors who chooses patients to be treated by the Foundation.
- Reside in Novato or San Rafael
- Be between the ages of 10 – 21*
- Be experiencing a financial hardship (If chosen, proof of income or financial hardship will be required prior to treatment: W-2, Income tax return, SSI award letter, TANF grant letter, etc.)
- Have “good” dental hygiene practices and a dental hygiene check-up in the past 6 months
- Have a functional and/or aesthetic need for braces
- Currently be enrolled in school (if age appropriate for K-12th grade)
- Demonstrate a positive attitude
- Follow and abide by treatment plan set forth by Dr. Don Wilson and the contract attached
- Demonstrate a willingness to get involved in the community through extracurricular activities and/or volunteer service
- Have positive letters of recommendation from at least two community leaders and/or teachers
*The board may consider exceptions under the “special circumstances” clause. Please speak with a S4L representative for more information.
*Please do not schedule an exam prior to the application deadline since an exam will be part of the selection process if you are chosen to proceed to that phase.
Our mission at Smile for a Lifetime is to create self confidence, inspire hope, and change the lives of children in our community with the gift of a smile.
Dr. Don Wilson is the founder of the Novato/San Rafael Chapter of Smile for a Lifetime Foundation. He is an orthodontic specialist and practices in Novato, California. For more about Dr. Don, click here.
Our Board Members are as diverse as the communities we serve; however, leadership and passion for community improvements are characteristics they all share.
Charis Santillie – Board President Kaleidoscope
Nancy Rosell – Board Secretary Rosell Specialties
Nanci Turnbull – Board Treasurer Turnbull Advisors
Anjali Singh ASL Insurance Group, Inc.
Bill Hosking Benefield Realty
Dana Wieser Good Shepherd Lutheran School
Laura Trahan, MS, CCC-SLP Marin County Office of Education
Mahr Elder, DDS, MD Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon
Mike Haas, CPA Haas & Reaney, LLP
Morgan Hoburg San Francisco Bar Pilot
Roger Vosburg Attorney at Law
Todd Farber ABC7
Chikara Motomura Motomura Media
Special thanks for services donated by: Dr. Mahr Elder, Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon; Kim Vogee, Marin Orthodontics
Application for 2017 will be posted by January 1st
- Deadline to submit applications for orthodontic scholarships is April 1st
- If your application is incomplete, it will NOT be considered in the selection process.
- A local board of directors chooses the scholars, and the process is competitive. Scholarships are limited and based on financial need, orthodontic need, and a complete and accurate application. Selection is based on the information provided within the application packet (i.e. commentary, personal essay, character, and accompanying letters of recommendation, dental referral form, report card, photos), as well as in-person evaluation/screening appointments.