Dr. Wilson and his staff provide exceptional care for my two teenage children. The Novato community is lucky to have Dr. Wilson. I would highly recommend...
I have been pleased with the kindness and professionalism that my daughters have been receiving from Dr. Wilson and his professional staff. They're all...
Novato is so lucky to have an orthodontist with the skill, value and professionalism of Dr. Wilson! With 6 patients in my family, I can tell you Dr. Wilson...
Orthognathic (Orthodontic) Jaw Surgery
Orthognathic (orthodontic) jaw surgery may be required to correct misalignment of the jaws when braces alone are not enough.
The least intervention necessary is best, but sometimes, creating a healthy bite requires more than braces.
The word orthognathic comes from the Greek language and means ‘to straighten’ (ortho) and ‘jaw’ (ngathic). Therefore, orthognathic surgery is jaw surgery used to correct misaligned jaws.
Orthodontics can usually correct bite problems when the teeth are misaligned, but corrective jaw surgery may be necessary to correct misalignment of the jaws. This misalignment may be caused by upper and lower jaws growing at different rates, or by injury and/or birth defects. Often these abnormalities can cause…
- Difficulty with chewing or biting
- Difficulty with swallowing
- Difficulty with clear speech
- Chronic jaw or jaw joint (TMJ) pain
- Headache, neck pain or shoulder pain
- Pain that radiates into the body
- Excessive wear of the teeth
- Open bite (upper and lower teeth don’t meet when the mouth is closed)
- Unbalanced facial appearance from the front or side
- Receding chin
- Protruding jaw
- Difficulty making lips meet
- Chronic mouth breathing and dry mouth
- Sleep problems, including snoring, difficult breathing and sleep apnea
Corrective jaw surgery will move your teeth and jaws into positions that are more balanced, functional and healthy. While the goal of orthognathic surgery is to improve bite and function, for many patients the surgery also improves appearance and speech. The results of corrective jaw surgery can be dramatic and will have a positive effect on your oral health, overall health and self-esteem.
Using the latest in digital imaging technology, Dr. Don will determine if orthognathic surgery is the correct treatment option for you and will demonstrate to you the overall functional and aesthetic benefits of orthognathic surgery. Computerized treatment planning will…
- Reveal, in advance, the dramatic improvements in your facial balance
- Minimize your treatment time, recovery period and the overall success of surgery.
State-of-the-art materials such as titanium plates and miniature screws provide stability, strength and predictability to treatment. These advances in technology, procedures and equipment reduce post-surgical recovery time, thus allowing patients to return to their normal routines soon after the surgery.